Up next for our Legends and Pariahs DLC preview - the Incubus Punisher! A primarily melee class aided by unique demonic spells, Punishers are adept at singling out their opponents from a fight and forcing them to come to terms with their inner demons.
The Incubus Race:
Mechanically, Incubi operate much the same as Succubi from our previous Myths and Outcasts DLC - blessing or curse effects on worn equipment have the opposite effect on these demonic beings! Cursed items can freely be unequipped while blessed items are bound to your person.
The reversing effect also extends to our new upcoming spellbook mechanics - a cursed held spellbook becomes a boon for the Incubus, increasing the power of spells cast through it. Blessed spellbooks will also improve your spells, though will degrade faster while bound to you.
The Incubus race also starts with the Teleport spell already learnt, as well as the new “Arcane Mark” spell - an ability that allows the user to control their teleportation magic!
Arcane Mark Spell:
- Fires a projectile that places a “mark” upon an ally or enemy. Marked targets are revealed on the minimap for a fixed duration.
- Casting Teleport while Arcane Mark is active will teleport the caster behind the marked target!
- Teleportation spells mana costs are halved while Arcane Mark is active.
- Only one Arcane Mark can be active at one time, marking a new target will lose the previous one.
The Punisher Class:
The Punisher class comes with 2 new pieces of equipment - the new Whip weapon as well as an ominous Executioner’s Hood! You will also have in your inventory:
- Ring of conflict
- An axe
- Some basic food
- Teleport Other spell
- Inner Demon spell
Stats and Proficiencies:
Punishers have basic level proficiencies in Axe, Ranged, Spellcasting and Magic.
Strength and Dexterity are two favored stats on levelling up, while Constitution is unlikely to increase.
Executioner’s hood: The signature hood of the Punisher. Slaying weakened foes with the Executioner’s hood provides increased mana regeneration for a short duration!
The Whip: The Whip is a low ATK, utility melee weapon with some unique mechanics - foremost it is the only “melee” weapon to have an increased striking distance! (Despite the ongoing rumours, polearms have the same attack range as every other axe/sword/mace!).
Outgoing damage takes into account half of the wielders STR and DEX primary stats, and uses the Ranged proficiency for damage variance.
Apart from increased attack range, whipping an enemy under an immobile status effect (e.g sleep/paralyze) disarms their equipped weapon or shield each strike!
If they otherwise are confused, drunk or disoriented, there is a % chance to disarm.
Striking with the whip requires a longer windup than standard melee weapons, a mastery of the timing and use of status effects allows the Punisher to safely disarm foes and overpower them.
New Starting Spells!
- Fires a projectile that teleports the target in front of the caster.
- Enemies teleported a certain distance away from their location will be inflicted with “Disoriented” status effect. The further away the monster is teleported, the greater the duration.
- Disoriented enemies lose track of their current target and do not retaliate to attacks for a brief duration.
- If cast while Arcane Mark is active, no projectile is fired and the marked target is teleported to the caster.
- Fires a projectile that exorcises an allied “Inner Demon” Incubus out of the target.
- Inner Demon taunts the target and reflects a % of melee damage received back to the target.
- Consumes a % of max HP from the caster on cast to imbue the Inner Demon with your current HP and AC.
- Most creatures can only be exorcised once, and purely demonic creatures are unable to be exorcised.
Let us know what you think! Feel free to share your thoughts in the Steam discussion thread or join our discord!
As an aside - in the next update Succubi will also be getting an adjustment to their starting loadout to be further unique from the Incubus.
My next upcoming DLC blog update: I'll share some details about the Automaton Mechanist, and what we’ve done to overhaul the Locks skill!
Until next time!